The Twin Cities does indeed have many big-box retailers selling children's toys. There are also many smaller and independent toy stores selling more interesting toys. Here's the pick of the best children's toy stores in the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro area.
Enchanted Tree House, White Bear LakeMostly selling boutique brand children's clothes, there is also a large selection of natural toys in this downtown White Bear Lake store.
Museum StoresThe Minnesota Children's Museum, and the Science Museum of Minnesota, both in downtown St. Paul, have good gift stores packed with toys, puzzles and games.
All museum stores can be visited without paying for museum admission.
Non-Toy Toy StoresThese aren't considered toy stores by many, but these stores sell toys along with their other products, and are well worth a visit if you are seeking a gift for a little one.
- Twin Cities Green: organic baby toys, plus a natural baby items and cloth diapers.
- Saga Living: a small selection of Scandinavian natural toys.
- Bibelot: gifts for all ages at this Twin Cities favorite, with dollar toys, natural toys, and plenty for babies.
- Patina: like Bibelot, Patina sells toys and gifts for their younger customers, many with a humorous twist. And like Bibelot, you'll probably find a gift for a couple of other people on your shopping list too.
- The Walker Shop: attractive, trendy toys for artistic little ones.