The Bottom Line
- A great place to bring kids
- Fantastic baked goods
- Usually full of kids, toys, and noise.
- 813 East 48th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55417
- Located on the corner of 48th Street and Chicago Avenue in south Minneapolis.
- There is on-street parking outside the coffee shop, or on the block behind.
Guide Review - Sovereign Grounds Coffee Shop
Sovereign Grounds is a neighborhood coffee shop located on the corner of 48th Street and Chicago Avenue in South Minneapolis. Owner Hakan Sezer has filled the large, bright space with comfortable couches and homely touches.
It's very popular with locals who come to relax and chat. But what brings people from miles around, especially in the winter, is the large playroom filled with toys. On most weekday mornings moms and dads are chatting over their lattes while their children play, oblivious to the ice and snow outside. The toys are particularly appreciated by toddlers and pre-schoolers, and the resident turtle usually has an admiring crowd around his aquarium.
The coffee beans are roasted right there in store, you can get an authentic cup of Turkish coffee, and the baked goods are handmade. Yummy, as the youngest visitors would say.